What is Cycling Without Age?
Cycling Without Age is a worldwide movement that aims to bring joy and vitality to older adults and those with differing abilities through the magic of the trishaw, a pedal assist cargo bike. For more information: www.cyclingwithoutage.com/about.
The Guiding Principles
- Generosity: It’s a generous act of kindness to volunteer to provide trishaw rides
- Slow cycling: Slow rides allow passengers the opportunity to enjoy the outdoors and meet people along the way.
- Storytelling: Passengers share stories that will be forgotten if we don’t reach out and listen.
- Relationships: New relationships are created between generations, pilots and passengers
- Without age and differing abilities: Cycling Without Age is about letting people age in a positive context – fully aware of the opportunities that lie ahead. We envision a world where all individuals are seen for their ability, not their disability.
What is a trishaw?
A trishaw is a pedal assist cargo bike on three wheels that can fit one to two passengers.
Are trishaws safe?
Yes, trishaws are safe to ride. Each trishaw is equipped with
a seatbelt and is driven by a trained and certified volunteer pilot. Pilots pedal slowly and obey the rules of the road.
Are helmets required?
According to Wisconsin law helmets are not required, however, Make The Ride Happen strongly encourages their use. A helmet will be provided for those who wish to wear one, however if you decide not to wear one, we will ask you to sign a liability form for safe guards.
Are family and friends able to ride with passengers?
Yes, family members and friends are encouraged to ride with passengers, so they can share the adventure and create new stories.
Are you interested in volunteering to become a pilot?
Each of our volunteer trishaw pilots are certified and have several hours of piloting the trishaw before independently taking passengers for a trishaw ride. If you are interested in becoming a pilot, please contact: rsvpvolunteerfoxcities.org.
How Long is the ride?
Where Can I go for a ride?
Typical trishaw rides are 30, 45, or 60 minutes in length, depending on your location, comfort and destination. Many passengers enjoy rides to community parks and trails, but we are available to take you to specific destinations.
Who do I contact and how do I schedule a trishaw ride?
You can contact Make the Ride Happen at MRH@lsswis.org or by calling 920-225-1719. Program staff are available 8:30a-4:30p Monday thru Friday to take your call.
How can I support Make the Ride Happen: Cycling Without Age?
You can volunteer to be trained to “pilot” a trishaw or you can let us know about an individual who might benefit from a ride on the trishaw. You can make a donation to help program staff administer this program by sending a donation to:
Fox Cities Greenways, Inc.
P.O. Box 5
Menasha, WI 54952-0005